This Technical Regulation (BD-142004-01) covers safety and electromagnetic compatibility and will affect seven GCC member states: Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman and Yemen. It follows a similar existing regulation for toys.
Most covered product categories are subject to the manufacturer’s/importer’s self declaration of conformity (DoC). As in Europe, test reports showing compliance with the national/regional standards give a ‘presumption of conformity’ with the general safety requirements. IECEE/CB Test Certificates/Reports are specifically mentioned as acceptable documentation.
The are 13 types of electrical household appliances (List 2) which are not subject to self-certification; these require approval by a Notified Body.
Products complying with the requirements must carry the special G-marking (pictured) before being placed on the market.
Some specialized equipment is not covered by this regulation, including:
- Electrical equipment for use in an explosive atmosphere
- Electrical equipment for radiology and medical purposes
- Electrical parts for goods and passenger lifts
- Electricity meters
- Electric fence controllers
- Radio-electrical interference
- Some specialized electrical equipment for use on ships, aircraft or railways