The requirements for Industrial Control Panels have been recently updated to the 2nd edition. The second edition changes made to UL 508A will take effect this month.
Changes in the new edition are extensive. They include:
- Air conditioners installed in panels need to comply with UL 1995 and clause 26.3
- When protectors (fuse, breaker, etc.) are in a DC circuit above 32 volts, they must be evaluated to appropriate product standard and have a rating equal to or greater than the operating circuit voltage
- Type 4 or 4X enclosure/compartment that is ventilated must now also comply with clause 62.4
- New requirements for control panels intended to control fountains
- New requirements to address power factor correction circuits/capacitors that do not need to be specifically described
- New requirements to address components provided that are configured as autotransformer- and resistor-type reduced-voltage motor controllers
- New requirements for control panels intended to control irrigation equipment
MET Labs’ Industrial Control Panel Certification Program delivers a responsive cost-effective product safety certification for manufacturers who custom-build or mass-produce ICPs.
Contact us today for a quote to the 2nd edition of 508A, or for a ‘gap analysis’ of an already-certified panel.