This post is the second of two posts on hazardous location product safety testing and certification.  The first post explored testing for UL/CSA, ATEX & IECEx.

This post looks at certification requirements for particular markets/countries.

North America
In the United States, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) governs the Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTL) program, and accredits laboratories like MET Labs to product safety certify products.  Hazardous location products must meet normal location and hazardous location requirements.

In Canada, Standards Council Canada (SCC) accredits labs to certify hazardous location equipment.

European Union (EU) Member Countries
The CE Marking, which includes the ATEX Directive and any other applicable Directives, is mandatory for equipment offered for sale or use within the EU.  Equipment must bear all applicable markings (EN 60079 Series) and must be accompanied by a Manufacturer’s Declaration of Conformity.

Other Directives may also apply, such as PED for pressure equipment, Machinery Directive and EMC.

Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore
These countries require an IECEx Certificate of Conformity issued by an accredited IECEx Certification Body (ExCB), and equipment must bear the applicable markings outlined by the IEC 60079 series of standards.

Note also that for mining equipment, some jurisdictions within Australia require the IECEx Certificate of Conformity to be issued by an Australian ExCB. 

For above ground (non-mining) hazardous location equipment, China has an IECEx Certification Body and will accept an Ex Test Report (ExTR) and/or an ATEX Report as a basis for issuing Chinese national certification.  Generally, hazardous location equipment which is approved under the ATEX or the IECEx Scheme can be reviewed and issued a certificate by NEPSI (National Supervision and Inspection Center for Explosion Protection and Safety of Instrumentation) or CQST (China National Quality Supervision and Test Center for Explosion Protected Products).

Some products may also need metrology approval, MA mining certification, fire safety approval or CCC marking for general electrical safety.

Russia has an IECEx Certification Body and will accept an Ex Test Report (ExTR) and/or an ATEX Report as a basis for issuing national certification.

A GOST-R certificate is required for most electrical products shipped through Russian customs. For products intended for hazardous locations, the GOST-Ex certificate is required.  The IECEx or ATEX certificate and ExTR or ATEX Report can be used to obtain the GOST-Ex.  In addition, a permit for use from the Federal Ecological, Technological and Atomic Supervision Service (Rostekhnadzor) is required for the intended installation.

Korea accepts an Ex Test Report (ExTR) and/or an ATEX Report as a basis for issuing national certification.  There are three main certification bodies: KGS, KOSHA and KTL.  Applications must be made in Korean.

India is a member of the IECEx Scheme, but there are no Indian certification agencies currently accredited as ExCBs.  There are a number of certification agencies within India, and an ATEX or IECEx Certificate and Report will help in obtaining National Certification for India. 

Find out more about testing products for different world markets.

Get a quote for hazardous location product safety certification for one or multiple markets.

About Compliance Today | By MET Labs

Through our educational resources, we keep you informed on essential regulatory requirements, changes, updates, and notices on a wide range of subjects across multiple industries, topics, and trends.Have a question about Standards Interpretations, Technical Specs, Applicability of Standards, Country-Specific Requirements? Subscribe to Compliance Today by .

Eurofins | MET Labs